Dividing Marital Property Can Be Difficult In Divorce
Dividing Marital Property Can Be Challenging In Divorce
Throughout the course of a marriage, married couples may buy a house, accumulate retirement savings, and invest in stocks and other assets. They may also have debts. Everything acquired throughout the marriage must be divided in order to finalize a divorce.
To protect your financial interests, you need a lawyer who understands the law. Shawn H. Heffernan & Associates, P.C., has over 15 years of experience helping clients like you obtain full and fair property settlements during a divorce. We focus on achieving results for clients throughout Cook County and the southwest Chicago suburbs. Contact us today to find out how we can help you.
Protect Your Property And Your Interests
Heffernan Law is a firm offering experienced representation in family law matters, including division of marital property. Marital property includes all assets accumulated during your marriage, including:
- Furniture, artwork and rugs
- Kitchen items such as china, dinnerware and small appliances
- Collectibles such as figurines and stamp and coin collections
- Real estate such as the family home or vacation home
- Vehicles, including cars or boats
- Savings accounts
- Retirement accounts, including 401(k) accounts and the distribution of pensions promised by jobs
- Debt and other liabilities such as shared credit card debt and student loans incurred during the marriage
Division of marital assets can become complicated. For example, even if you owned an asset before your business, a portion of it may be marital property based on what happened during your marriage. An experienced attorney can not only help you navigate the process, but can also interact on your behalf with the other party’s lawyer to make the division as easy as possible for you.
Call Today For Help
Heffernan Law offers help in a wide variety of family law matters. Call our Orland Park or Oakbrook Terrace office today at 708-263-4574 to arrange a meeting, or send us a message through our online system.