Experience. Hard Work. Genuine Care.

Experience. Hard Work. Genuine Care.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » Relocation

Relocation: An Overview

When you want to relocate with your child—or need to object to the proposed relocation of your child—there are many legal steps you must take for the relocation to be approved or denied. As a parent concerned about the welfare of your child, it can be difficult to understand all of your options, which is why discussing your situation with an experienced attorney is the best thing you can do.

Shawn H. Heffernan & Associates, P.C., has worked with clients throughout Cook County, Will County, Dupage and other Chicago suburbs in a wide-variety of situations involving relocation requests. Our experienced team can provide you the answers you need to move forward.

How Does The Law Affect My Case?

Our founding attorney, Shawn Heffernan, has over 20 years of experience working with clients who are on both sides of relocation cases. Whether you are a parent considering moving with your child or are the one opposing the other parent’s relocation request our team can help. With extensive knowledge in family-related legal matters, we can find a realistic solution that works for you. Mr. Heffernan will always give you honest advice and be upfront about how the law applies to your case.

In Illinois, relocation can involve a proposed move to a different state, city, or even neighborhood. The parent who would like to move must give a written notice containing the date of the intended move, the address of the proposed new home and the length of time the relocation will last. This needs to be done at least 60 days before the planned move. The other parent can then consent or object. If one parent objects, they must state their reasons why. The court will look at what is in the best interest of the child when making its decision.

Call Now To Learn More

In relocation cases, a judge will look at the specifics of each situation—there is no blanket solution. This is why it is important to have an experienced lawyer by your side. We will do everything we can to advocate for you and your future. We can also help with visitation agreements and custody arrangements.

To schedule a free consultation and learn more about your options, call 708-263-4574 today. From our Orland Park office, we proudly serve clients throughout Cook County and the southwest Chicago suburbs.